Buying High Energy at Kingsway: The Album My Family Couldn't Stand—But I Loved


Buying High Energy at Kingsway: The Album My Family Couldn't Stand—But I Loved

There are some albums that instantly become family favorites. Then there are albums that make everyone in the house yell, "Turn that off!"
For me, High Energy by The Supremes was definitely the second one.
I still remember walking into Kingsway Department Store on Grand River and Greenfield in Detroit. The record department was one of my favorite places to browse. There were rows of LPs, cassette tapes, and 45s just waiting to be discovered. As a devoted Supremes fan, seeing High Energy sitting on the shelf felt like striking gold.
The cover looked glamorous. Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne, Susaye Greene, and Cindy Birdsong looked ready for the disco era. I couldn't wait to hear what Motown's legendary girl group had created next.
The moment I got home, I carefully took the record out of the sleeve and placed it on the family record player. I lowered the needle and waited for the music to begin.
I was hooked immediately.
The title track "High Energy" had an exciting disco groove that made me want to dance around the living room. Then came "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking," "Only You (Can Love Me Like You Love Me)," and "You Keep Me Moving On." To me, it sounded fresh, modern, and full of life.
My family completely disagreed.
Before one song could even finish, someone shouted from another room, "Turn that off!"
Another family member walked over and switched off the record player without asking.
I couldn't believe it.
I thought they were missing out on one of the Supremes' most underrated albums. They still wanted the classic Diana Ross hits, while I was embracing this new chapter of the group. The disco production, the harmonies, and Scherrie Payne's powerful vocals made the album feel exciting and different.
Years later, I realized I wasn't alone.
Many fans have since recognized High Energy as one of the strongest albums from the post-Diana Ross Supremes. Released on April 1, 1976, it blended disco, soul, and R&B at a time when the music industry was rapidly changing. Although it wasn't a blockbuster, it has become a cult favorite among longtime Motown fans.
Whenever I hear those songs today, I'm transported back to that trip to Kingsway Department Store. I can still picture carrying that record home, excited to play it, only to have someone rush over to stop the music.
Funny how time changes everything.
The very album my family couldn't stand has become one of the records I treasure the most. Sometimes great music just needs the right listener—and maybe a little patience from everyone else in the house.
This story is written as a nostalgic, fictional reminiscence inspired by the era and your memories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating The Supremes: Honoring the Birthdays of Three Motown Legends

Tevin Campbell: The Voice That Raised a Generation and Still Deserves His Flowers

Return to Drama: Inside the Supremes Reunion That Fell Apart 🎤✨